Sep 21, 2013

Mad For Plaid!

Week one of the Refashion Runway challenge has been lots of fun!  This week we were challenged to make something using plaid.  I chose a few men's shirts that I had in my stash—a couple of plaid shirts that were cut on the bias, one striped shirt, and one blue shirt (not shown in the "before" picture.)  You might notice in the background small glimpses of my new sewing studio, which is almost finished.  Watch for the big reveal in the future!  Now, back to the challenge...


I got to work carefully picking off the pockets.  Then I cut 3 1/2" strips from the bodies of three of the shirts.  After sewing these strips together I set them aside and went to work on the bodice.  I cut the front pieces of the bodice from the back of the shirt, and the back pieces of the bodice from the front of the shirt.  That way, I could take advantage of the buttons going down the back, thus eliminating the need for a zipper!  I replaced the shirt buttons with dressier buttons.  I cut my new short sleeves from the old sleeves.


I trimmed the scoop neck with a band of the plaid fabric.


The previously sewn strips were pleated and attached to the bodice.


I added a couple of belt loops to the sides.


Just a small hem at the bottom and that completes my plaid entry for Refashion Runway, week one!  Be sure to check out all of the wonderful entries at the Renegade Seamstress and vote for your favorite!  (UPDATE:  Voting for week one is now over...thanks!)


27 comments:

  1. You really know how to think outside the box! It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fit and finish. Your work is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's absolutely fantastic. I will go and vote for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely GORGEOUS ! Don't mind if I copy you ? This is just up my alley style wise and eco-friendly. You are SO inspiring. Can't wait to see what you bring next !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. I wish you would take some more photos while you are sewing so we can see more clearly the process you went through to complete the dress, which really is gorgeous. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! I'm usually pretty good with process photos and tutorials, although I fell short this time. Next time I'll do better!

      Delete
  6. Just popping over from The Renegade Seamstress to say hello! She mentioned you were a fellow Oregonian, and I am as well. I knew your blog looked familiar and I just realized it's because I featured your tattooed denim jacket in my Friday Favorites recently! Congratulations and best of luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for featuring my jacket. BTW, that jacket is featured in the current issue of Altered Couture!

      Delete
  7. Yours is my favorite and I voted yesterday. Thanks for the instructions. Would you explain how you make and attach your belt loops? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress is incredible, seriously, you should sell this! I love what you did this week, all the patterns match perfectly. You got my vote this week!
    http://www.buttonsandbirdcages.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You created a jaw-droppingly beautiful dress! I am so in awe of your talents! Incredible job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan, I think this is one of the best shirt-to-dress remakes I've seen. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! That is quite the compliment coming from the winner of season one! I love what you do...always inspirational!

      Delete
  11. Beautifully made, and the colors are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such a flair for matching prints, Susan. An awesome refashion and a beautiful dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've featured your beautiful dress today, Susan...
      http://www.threadingmyway.com/2013/09/threading-your-way-features_28.html

      Delete
  13. That is truly amazing Susan - the best shirts to dress I've seen. Congratulations - I'll pop over and add a vote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This dress looks amazing on! You are very creative to come up with this. I'll vote for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love what you made of those shirts
    Congrats for the wonderful PERFECT new dress ,,
    mirjam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Susan!
    I’ve featured your Button Up Refashion on SergerPepper here: http://sergerpepper.com/2013/11/refashion-button-up-shirt.html
    I hope it’s ok for you ;)
    Hugs,
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, love this idea and want to make it myself. I've bought all of the materials but I'm not sure of how I am supposed to make it all my size, do the collar and how long the pieces of material for the skirt need to be? Please help??!!?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really fabulous refashion.
    Cindy @ Upcycled Drsign Lab

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan