Nov 26, 2011

Duct Tape Purses

UPDATE 4/28/2013:  If you would like to view a step-by-step tutorial of a simple, fabric-lined duct tape purse, visit my youtube channel.  Become a subscriber so you can be informed when I add new videos!  Click here to view the video!

The other day I submitted some duct tape purses to the editor of Haute Handbags.  I received word today that they have chosen 3 of my 5 designs to include in their April 1 edition of the magazine!  I'll keep those designs a secret...you'll have to wait for the magazine.  But here are the two "rejects!"

The first one I named "Anenome" because it reminded me of the ocean.  I used chrome duct tape, silver brads, vintage jewelry, and D-rings to give it some silver accents.  The flower was made by backing a long strip of duct tape with another strip of duct tape—offsetting the strips about 1/4" so that you end up with both edges having 1/4" of stickiness.  Trim away one of the sticky edges.  With your scissors, make 1/8" snips in the tape, cutting to, but into the sticky edge.  This will create a "fringed" strip with an uncut sticky edge.  Determine how big you want your flower and make a circle base with the duct tape.  I overlapped side by side a couple of 3" long pieces of duct tape, backed them with the same, then cut it into a 3" circle.  Starting with the outside edge of the circle, begin to stick your fringe onto the base.  Keep adding the continuos fringe around the circle until you get to the center.  You may need to cut more fringe to complete the flower.  Using epoxy, add a vintage piece of jewelry to the center.  Epoxy, or hot glue gun the flower to the bag.





The next one I named "Black Tie."  It has a fancy tuxedo look to it.  I folded the white duct tape over on itself to within 1/4" of the edge, leaving a sticky strip.  Then I gathered it as I stuck it to a duct tape base.  Chrome duct tape was also used for accents.  The black tie is actually a shoe clip that is epoxied in place.  The fabric lining wraps over the top edge to the front to add some extra interest to the purse.  Small black brads were added to the base of the handles to make them more secure.




I always knew that duct tape was functional, but who knew it could be so pretty also?

UPDATE:
I just finished one more purse to add to the mix.  This one has a different flower.  It's made the same way as the first one, only cut with petals instead of "fringe."
Watch my youtube video to see how its done!




Featured on:

28 comments:

  1. These are fabulous! I'm pinning them and going to make several for gifts this Christmas! Can't wait to see the rest in April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If these are "rejects" I can't wait to see the ones that were accepted. Awesome!!! Love Anemone -- the colors, the design, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me?? Oh my! And I was impressed with the bifold wallet my nephew made for my father-in-law with silver duct tape. I won't show him these, he'd be crushed!! Wow! Good job :) These are going onto my Fab Bags board at Pinterest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow amazing bags and well done you,

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! I can't believe these are duct tape!! These are fabulous.
    I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute purses, Sue! Congrats on getting published! Can't wait to see the article. I imagine, as talented as you are, we will be seeing many, many more of your wonderful creations in print!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning featuring on Thursday at bacon time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How is this even possible?? This is so awesome! I can't wait to see what your designs that they accepted look like! Congrats to you!

    Found you via link party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!!!
    Stopping from Bacon Time.
    Seriously. In awe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! My kids try to make these all the time but I had no idea they could be so cool looking! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love duct tape! Your purses are great! I found you through Chic on a Shoestring. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you kidding....this is fantastic. I would love to do one for my daughter, but I have no idea where to start...Is the whole thing made of duct tape?...Incredible! I'm a new follower too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Em Gee these are fantastic! Love them!!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are GENIUS! Oh my goodness! I'm definitely going to have to try my hand at these one of these days. WOW :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can we buy them from you?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these! I also make purses and other things from duct tape. I was wondering where did you buy that mint colored duct tape! Please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just made 2 duct tape handbags in one day. They came out awesome!! thanks SO much for your inspiration. Keep creating and inspiring!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these detailed purses. You are so talented! Would love to see the published styles also. Looks like I am not checking out your blog as often as I should. You need to brag in person more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing purses you are so talented!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bonjour,

    Je suis française et je trouve votre travail MA-GNI-FIQUE.
    Une vraie artiste, un travail très soigné, de professionnel.
    BRAVO.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How do you get the wavy lines to cut so smoothly?

    ReplyDelete
  23. both of the purses are the coolest I have ever seen especially the tux purse. I wonder how you can get the lines so straight and so clean on the edges. I just love it, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan