Oct 4, 2011

I Love Costumes!


My love of costumes began early in life.  Maybe it came from my mom and dad...they seemed to like to dress up also.



In our house we had an antique steamer trunk that was stuffed full of costumes.  


My grandmother loved shopping at Goodwill (that must be where I get my love of thrifting!) and she would find things to add to the trunk.  Every October 31st that trunk would be opened and costumes would explode throughout the whole house as  we tried to figure out what we would wear that night for trick-or-treating.  


Of course, there were other occasions to wear costumes, mainly church activities.  I recall a Daddy/Daughter event that had a hawaiin theme.  I dressed in a hawaiin moo moo and flower lei, but my dad dressed up as a witch doctor!  To his surprise, most of the other fathers dressed in their suits!  He was a good sport, though, and really played up the part of witch doctor.  

The costume love continued in high school when “Spirit Week” provided opportunities to dress up.  My friend and I dressed as Raggedy Ann and Andy one year.



Well, over the years my costume collection as grown and they don't fit into an old steamer trunk.  In fact, I took over a spare walk-in closet to try and keep them organized!  Whenever I find something at a thrift store that would make a good costume, I pick it up.  So this month I am dedicating all my posts to costumes and costume tips.  Check back often and maybe you'll be inspired!


Click HERE to see more costumes!

7 comments:

  1. Great idea Susan! I can't wait to see all the cute costumes you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh its so great to meet another costume collector.If you go see my pirate post you will see some of my collection but alot is still in storage.Sometimes I think I am weird (am sure family does too) but I love my costumes and will keep on adding to it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Costumes are great, thanks for sharing such a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing your walk down memory lane. I love seeing costumes of yesteryear. I did a post a couple weeks back on my blog about it! I'd love it if you linked up to my Terrorific Tuesday blog party!

    http://swelldesigner.blogspot.com/2011/10/terrorific-tuesday-blog-hop-time_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute costumes, thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, you must have had a wonderful childhood and so much fun dressing up. I recently found your blog and am now following. Please pop on over and visit mine and perhaps you would like to follow me also. I would really like that. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan