Apr 7, 2011

Little Girl's Button Up Skirt

While looking for cute dress ideas for my granddaughters, I came across some cute, elastic waist, button- up skirts.  Cute idea, but with a price tag of $56 each, I thought, "no way!"  (Not that I don't think my granddaughters are worth it, but let's be real!)  I figured a secondhand shirt would be perfect to use for making these.  I actually got lucky and found a button-up dress for 99¢ that was long enough to make two skirts...one size 8 and one size 2!




To view a tutorial on how it was done, click here.


UPDATE:
Before I sent these skirts off to my granddaughters, I decided to make two more.  The first one had simple pockets without flaps, making it super easy.  It took less than 45 minutes from start to finish...and that's including gathering supplies and taking a phone call in the middle of the project!  I was also able to take advantage of the pre-extisting shirt hem and side slits!  The second one was made using a striped shirt as the main skirt, and using a second, smaller striped shirt for the band and pockets.





11 comments:

  1. Way cute! Makes me wish I'de saved my old navy blue gingham dress that was EXACTLY the same! If that was from Chadwicks, it is. anyway...thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! And Shailey and Olivia can't wait to see and try them on in person. I'll take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and easy. I will be stitching up a few for my daughter! Thanks for linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are the cutest,, I would like to follow your blog,, I'll go find the button,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a genius idea and a great way to upcycle!

    If you don't mind I would love it if you linked up to my weekly upcycled/stashbusting linky pary (Upcycled Awesome) at www.thetshirtdiaries.com or use this link: http://tinyurl.com/upcycled49

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these skirts, you've done such a great job, they look so professional! I'm also doing a linky party if you're interested: http://www.recycled-fashion.com/2011/06/recycled-fashion-finds-link-ups.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I were those two little girls, I'll be so excited to receive these. They are absolutely adorable. Wished I did better in sewing class in high school so then I would be able to whip up these for my niece.

    Mila from http://hereundertherainbow.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you had a tutorial for theses! But I will try my best to make some on my own for my 2 girls :). My husband recently cleaned out his closet & gave me 5 long sleeve button-down shirts- score! Now I know just what to do with them :). Plus some shorts for my little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the skirts look fabulous, Susan!!! 99c is MUCH better than $56.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the feedback and always look forward to reading what you have to say! Susan